Calendar of Classes & Lessons by Location
There is great instruction to be had in the region, including music, dance, theater, pottery and painting, just to scratch the surface. From classes at local centers to private lessons, there is sure to be something that suits for kids, teens, or adults seeking lessons at the introductory to the master-class level.
To include your next Loudoun County art class, workshop, private instruction or seminar on this page and our Happenings! email distribution, please complete our online form.
Agile Arts Atelier
Interested in singing contemporary pop/rock music, but only finding classical vocal teachers? Acoustic Rock Workshop NEW private Classes offers a unique and effective vocal method for all styles of contemporary music not found anywhere else. We offer voice lessons to students seeking training in proper technique and vocal performance focusing on contemporary pop/rock/blues/folk genres. We accept students ages 10 and over (younger students may be considered with audition/interview).
Power of Painting With a Limited Palette
- Workshop: The Power of Painting With a Limited Palette Saturday January 24th through Sunday January 25th 2015 9:30am – 5:30pm in Herndon, VA with teaching artist Tricia Cherrington Ratliff $300 Learn to create powerful compositions using a limited palette to explore subtlety and drama in your paintings. This workshop prepares artists to make stronger paintings using a limited palette of colors. Tricia will teach options that simplify the work of color so that the mind is able to focus on one idea at a time and make more powerful compositions. Using classical techniques we will do a series of activities that strengthen a painters approach by learning to mass values, build realistic 3D volume, use grisaille and improve decision making in order to create color illusion with very few pigments. Students will also learn to leverage the important skill of deciding what to leave OUT of a painting. Through these interesting and fun exercises you'll create multiple, small limited palette paintings in a row. In doing so, you'll learn to make active decisions about the use of direction/movement, weight, light, strong rendering (including the simplified modeling of forms) and temperature to make even a small paintings feel more powerful to the viewer. The workshop will also introduce the pros and cons of various "limited palette" options (or recipes) to help make good decisions about which colors to lay out before beginning any painting. Through increased confidence and focus, you can put restrained power and pop into your paintings. There are only 2 spots left in this small workshop of 6 students plus the organizer. Trish's strength as an instructor is identifying the skills each painter needs to work on. In this way, beginner through advanced level artists benefit from her very personalized instruction in a small group setting.
- 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM Sat. Jan 24 and Sun Jan 25
- Debra Keirce, workshop organizer DebraKeirceArt@yahoo.com 571-236-0047 Contact Debra Keirce to pay the $300 fee and reserve your spot in this workshop. Once it fills, you may ask to be placed on the waiting list.
Art Frame Solutions
- Learn the fundamentals of shading, perspective and atmosphere in charcoal and charcoal pencil . A supply list will be provided prior to the first class. Instructor with 15 years experience welcomes all levels.
- 1030-1200 Mondays January5th-February 9th-
- http://www.artframesolutions.com/#!charcoal-class/csxq Or see all upcoming classes. More fun classes to be listed shortly. http://www.artframesolutions.com
- Experience the process of working with the solvent-free, luminous colors of encaustic; ideal for beginners. This workshop is for all levels. Encaustic is a luminous medium that is made up of molten beeswax, pigment and resin. Encaustic is ideal for working abstractly or in a more representational style. Participants will learn melting and fusing, making clean lines and edges, working with patterns, texture, and collage. Each process will be demonstrated and discussed. A small wooden panel (4x5”) for each of the 6 demonstrations will be provided for each participant to have as studies or references for future work. Bring an optional 9x12 inch board for larger, more resolved work. All equipment, paint, medium, brushes and tools are supplied. More information and handouts will be emailed prior to the workshop. $148. There is a $35.00 supply fee due the day of the class.
- Saturday, January 10th, 11-5pm
Barbara Wilson + Private Instructor
ArtSquare offers professionally taught classes in many fine art media to adults and children of all ages. From the beginning basics to more advances classes, ArtSquare provides an unparalleled level of education expertise to our students. Many weekend workshops and other concentrated course are also available in a variety of media and subject matter, many of then taught by renowned visiting instructors.
- Instruction in acting technique, voice and body movement and/or theory and character development. Musical Theatre and Staging. Speech, Oral Interpretation and Diction for Children. Public Speaking for Adults.
- Flexible as needed by student
History Through Clay
- This class is designed for home school kids. Travel through history, starting in ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome and China creating clay sculptures, bowls and tools as they would have been created in ancient times with ceramic artist Rosalba Negrete.
- 11AM - 12:30PM Wednesdays or Thursdays in Leesburg or at the Round Hill Art Center
- Please visit www.chalvy.com or call 703-777-1858 for more information.
Herndon - ArtSpace
ArtSpace Herndon is a community art gallery created and supported by art lovers in the greater Herndon area. ArtSpace Herndon is a gathering place to celebrate the arts, showcasing artwork and events by local, regionally, and nationally known artists and performers. ArtSpace Herndon features a 1,700 sq foot art gallery and two classrooms for all types of art classes and small group sessions with artists.
Arts Instruction in Herndon
- Variety of classes offered in watercolor, oil painting, photography and children's classes
- For more information, please visit http://www.artspaceherndon.com
Portrait and Figure Painting
- Have you always been amazed by a beautiful portrait painting? Come and learn how to paint portraits and figures in oil, acrylic or pastel from a live model. In this class you will gain the knowledge of basic painting concepts and techniques such as value, color temperature, composition and transition. You will be exposed to the different approaches to start a portrait or figure painting and the theories behind them. Step-by-step instructions will take you through the entire process of a painting. Short demos will be given by the instructor to show how to apply these concepts and techniques.
- 7-10 PM Wednesdays
- For details please visit http://www.artspaceherndon.com/portrait-and-figure-painting-with-jordan-xu/
KidzArt is a fun, unique and confidence-building creative art experience. We offer: Art Classes for kids, teens and adults, camps, workshops, birthday parties for children, creative parties for adults, school and organizational fundraisers, and creative workshops for adults and teens. Kids have a great need to express themselves in many ways -- artistically, emotionally, physically and spiritually. KidzArt impacts each and every area of expression. The KidzArt classroom is a non-competitive environment enhanced by soft music that allows children to focus and enjoy what they are doing. Parents see the difference in the quality of art their children bring home.
Serving Loudoun County, Western Prince William County, VA
Sewing and Fashion Design Classes
- CraftyStitches Sewing Studio is Fashion Sewing Studio located in heart of the Village of Leesburg. We offer kids, teens and adult sewing, quilting, and fashion design classes. Visit our 1500 sq ft of sewing space where you can design to your hearts content.
- http://www.craftystitches.com or call 571 291 5070.
Fine Arts fpor Adults, Teens & Children
Montrose Art School
Open doors at Montrose Art School
- Montrose Art School offers individual & group lessons in watercolor, acrylic & oil painting. We will help you to create an art portfolio to get accepted into a college or art school! Come to try watercolor and ask questions, the doors are open every Saturday from 11am to 1pm.
- Every Saturday from 11am - 1pm
- free, www.MontroseArtSchool.com
Round Hill Arts Center
Exploring Ceramics with Hannah Janney
- Join instructor Hannah Janney for a fun weekly adventure in clay. Learn hand-building, wheel, sculpture, and glazing techniques. $100 plus $10 materials, Ages 7 & up.
- Saturdays, 10:00 am - 11:30 am.
- Register at www.roundhillartscenter.org; for more information, email the Arts center Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth Ceramics Workshop with Amy Marple
- A workshop designed for older kids, tweens, and teens. Make decorative and functional pottery using handbuilding, wheel and sculptural techniques with instructor Amy Marple. $100 plus $10 materials fee; ages 9 & up.
- 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm Saturday January 10 - 31
- Register at www.roundhillartscenter.org. For more information, email the Arts Center Manager at email@example.com.
Drawing and Painting Studio
- Join local artists drawing and painting from life! RHAC provides a model, a monitor, and easels -- bring a drawing board and other needed supplies. Pease indicate the session you will be attending when registering. $10 per session; Ages 18 & up.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Tuesdays
- Register at www.roundhillartscenter.org; for more information email the Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wheel-Thrown Pottery with Shawn Grove
- Learn the basics of pottery and clay properties, cutting, wedging, centering on the pottery wheel, and making basic forms, or expand your skills and explore more compex shapes and surface techniques including carving, slip trailing and more. Access to open studio included. No class on March 30 or April 6. $200 plus $25 for materials. Ages 15 & up. Maximum enrollment 8.
- 6:30 - 9:30 pm Mondays starting March 2, 2015.
- Register at www.roundhillartscenter.org. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Flute & recorder Lessons with Suzanne Grovel
- Become a more versatile musician, or learn to play for the first time! Play by ear and from written music, develop ensemble skills — kids (10 and up) and adults welcome, beginner to experienced. Suzanne has a B.A. in music from the College of William & Mary, and is co-director of the duo Theory & Practice. She studied flute with Charlotte Day, Meta Orear, Burt Kester, and Debbie Cross, and recorder with Scott Reiss.
- Tuesdays, 3 pm - 6 pm by appointment
- Contact the Center manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marvels of Monotype with Jessica Wilson
- The most spontaneous of printmaking methods, Monotype is a fluid medium for artists (painters) to experiment with. In this workshop (second of a series) we will be working with water-based inks. This class will cover viscosity monotypes, ghost images, and the use of stencils. Inks, plates, and paper will be provided; please bring drawing materials for making preliminary studies. $80 includes materials fee; Age 16 & up. Class size limited to six students.
- Sunday, February 8, 2015, 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Register at www.roundhillartscenter.org. Questions? Email the Arts Center Manager at email@example.com.
Round Hill Arts Center is community-based, encouraging participation in the arts for the benefit of the entire community of western Loudoun. We also seek to foster an understanding of the many ways in which art is present in our lives - from paintings and drawings to furniture and textiles. In short, we are about getting people into art!
TREEHOUSE for creative kids
TREEHOUSE for creative kids (TCK) is a fine arts and performing arts center offering structured and enrichment lessons in art, theatre and acting to students who are interested in developing skills and techniques in expressing their creativity through arts. With arts, the students will enhance their cognitive thinking, creative abilities, and social skills and will build on their craft.
- Visit our website for full list of classes: http://www.tckme.com LOCATION: 20608 Gordon Park Square #170, Ashburn, VA Phone: 571-239-5579, Visiting hours: 3-6pm (Mon-Wed); 10am-4pm (Sat); or call for an appointment.
The Old Furniture Factory
The Old Furniture Factory Ceramic program is designed for both the novice and experienced potter and provides an overview for anyone interested in ceramics. Students are encouraged to work at their own pace. Tuition includes open studio time, glaze materials, firing fees, instruction, 25 pounds of clay and parking. We provide Adult and Children's classes in Wheel, Handbuilding, and Sculpting. Instructors: David Norton, Bruce Bucklin, Pat Miller, Amy Manson, and Rosalba Negrete
Pottery Classes, Advanced, Intermediate and Beginner
- 6:30-9:00PM Mondays, 6:30-9:00PM Tuesdays, 9-11:30 AM Wednesday, 6:30-9:00PM Thursdays
- For more information please contact: www.theoldfurniturefactory.com or call 540-338-5050
Trinity House Cafe, 101 E. Market st., Leesburg VA
- Egg Tempera Iconography Course over 3 Saturdays.$350. Save your space with $50 non-refundable deposit.
- Jan 31, Feb 7, Feb 14. 10-4:30pm
- See more at byzarts.com or call 301 977 7297
If you would like your Loudoun County art class, workshop, private instruction or seminar included in the next Happenings! email, please please complete our online form at http://www.loudounarts.org/happenings/post-an-event.html. We will send an updated email mid-month, each month.
If you are not already an LAC member, please consider JOINING and helping us to continue to support the vibrant arts community of Loudoun County.